Sunday, December 31, 2006

India Day 4 – Lunch with the Indian Soprano’s

After speaking to my cousins, we realized that we had to be in the bride’s city at 9:00 a.m. Oh I forgot to mention that bride’s city was Ord, the same city that I met Pooja, and her elders, the Soprano’s. We hung out at the groom’s quarters where we sat there until noon, we then left him to go have lunch that the bride’s family hosted for us. The lunch was held at the local temple.

While we were eating lunch Rave noticed that one of the Soprano brothers was lurking in the background, staring at me. I noticed him and kept on eating. Then my brother noticed another two other Soprano brothers in the opposite corner. As we quietly ate, one of them came closer to me to say hello. I greeted him with a smile, while in my mind I was praying for a quick and painful death. While he was chatting with me, he had noticed that I hadn’t tried a specific kind of sweet treat, so he pointed to it on my dish and DEMANDED ME TO EAT THE FOOD, he didn’t ask, HE MADE ME EAT THE SWEET. I stared at the sweet, and then looked at all my cousins who were looking at me in anticipation…………..

As I chewed on the piece of sweet I thought about how my life would have been if I had said yes to Pooja. It would have been a life full of servitude to people who think too highly of themselves. Anyways, as we were finishing up eating, the same person came and told my cousin Hiren to eat the same item he asked me to eat. As we all smiled in enjoyment, he ate it and under his breathe he said “Thank You Nilay.” As for some reason I had made this all happen. Then my brother asked for an item from the waiter, and the Soprano uncle yelled at the waiter to make sure we got what we needed. As my brother received his food, he also whispered, “Thank You Nilay.” We quickly finished up and left to meet up with the groom for the wedding ceremonies.

No comments: