Thursday, December 28, 2006

India Day 1 – A Series of Unfortunate Events!!

Stench of Death – As soon as I land in India, and walk out of the plane smell B.O., and the famous line from Seinfeld, “The Stench of Death!”

Time of Arrival – We arrive in Bombay at 2:30 a.m. on the 28th of December, after a 24 hour flight. My whole family is exhausted and ready to get home and sleep. The one catch was that we had to grab our bags, and transfer them to another airport for a domestic flight.

2 hours to receive bags – The temperature must have been at least 80-90 degrees in the airport, with absolutely no fan or A/C running at all. Our connecting flight at the other airport was at 6:30 a.m. We had plenty of time to grab our bags and transfer them to our connecting flight. UNFORUNATELY our bags arrived in a 2 hour span. We had received our bags by 5:15 a.m.

Indian Customs – With our bags in hand we needed to go through the dreaded Indian customs. The Indian Custom Agents were known for there tendency to ask for bribes or take away personal items of yours. Typically the process takes about 30 minutes and usually involves a pain staking ordeal where they open your bags and pick through everything you own.

But with the help of my uncle and $200 American dollars, we were able to get through customs with absolutely no hassle.

Jet Airways fiasco – As we exited the Custom’s department, we typically hand our bags over to a Jet Airways office, and they are then in charge of transporting our bags and us to the other airport. BUT, the local office at the airport had decided to take there one and only bus and send it to the other airport without all of its passengers. So, we were left at the airport to find our own transportation to the other airport with our 70 lbs bags.

Rikcha’s – I wonder if anyone has ever seen a Rikcha. It’s basically a tri-cycle with an motorcycle engine attached to it, I also call it a Death Trap. Well in our party from Los Angeles, we had about 15 people, and about 30 bags. Since there was no transportation from the Bombay Airport to the other local airport, we had to take these rickety old things to the airport. Now, typically these vehicles can barely hold 2 large bags, but since we were in a time restraint, we just found different way to slam all the pieces of luggage on to 6 different Rikcha’s. Since it was a huge scramble, everyone took 2-5 different bags, including hand carry’s on the rikcha’s. I was chosen out of the masses to go by myself in the rikcha to the other airport, with 4 bags, and two carry-on’s. As I was alone in the car with the driver, I realized I didn’t know how to speak Hindi, only knew how to speak Gujrati. I was so screwed.

Late Arrival – We arrived at the other airport at 5:45 a.m. Our flight left at 6:30 a.m., and we still needed to check-in our bags, and get through security. As I arrived at the airport, none of my family members were around me, and the Rikcha driver wouldn’t help me with the bags, so I was forced to find 2 luggage carts, and throw 4 bags on the two hand-bags. All the while, the driver just watched me in amusement. So as I getting into the airport, I was heading for the security screening where I met up with the rest of the family. A few of them had left to the ticketing counter to ask about departure times and where to check our bags. Hiren, Rave, & Me rushed the bags through security in a record 3 minutes for 22 bags, and 16 hand carry-on’s. Only to find out that we were to late to check in our bags because this certain airport has a policy, for individuals to check-in 2 hours prior to lift off. Since we had 30 minutes left until our flight left, our only other option was to re-schedule our flight for a later time during the day.

From 6 a.m to 4:55 p.m. – You heard me right; we were stuck at the airport for 10 more hours. I don’t know if you have ever been stuck in an airport for that long, but it is RIDICULOUSLY boring, absolutely nothing to do. Also, the airport wouldn’t let us check in our bags, since the flight was so far out, that we had to keep track of our on bags. Check out the photo’s below.

Indian Toilet’s – This is a warning to all my bloggernite’s, the following subject matter may seem graphic to a few, please skip this section, if you are of faint of heart. I’m sure I haven’t told you all but Indian’s are known for there toilet systems. What they consist of are large holes in the ground with foot pedals on the ground. There is no such thing as toilet paper here in this country, all there is a water spout and a bucket. The idea is to squat and do your business, and fill water up in the bucket and clean your self with that. Since it had been 30+ hours since I had last used a bathroom, I knew I had to use one, and it wasn’t going to be pretty, luckily I was well prepared with my own packet of TP. As I walked into this little stall, I found the floor to be very wet, and the aroma was something I will never forget. I must admit, I almost fell a few times due to the wet floors, but I did my business and was out of there in 30 second’s. Never again will I do the dirty business in the public area’s. I will have to hold it for 48 hours if I have to, but I will do it in the peaceful surrounding of my home.

Clipper Lounge – My cousin, and my brother were the only one’s nearest to my age. We were all really exhausted and were looking for a drink. So around 2 p.m., we started scouring the airport for a bar, or a lounge. Luckily we asked a few people that they stated a place that would be of some interest to us, call the Clipper Lounge. It was located on the first floor of the airport. Since the airport seemed like one large floor, we searched the complete area and couldn’t find the restaurant/lounge. As we asked more and more people, everyone would state that the bar is on the first floor. After 20 minutes of searching the first floor, we decided to go upstairs, and we noticed that the second story of the airport was called the 1st floor!!! Ask we walked towards the Clipper Lounge, we were giddy with excitement for an opportunity to drink alcohol. About 45 minutes in the lounge, and 2 drinks per person later, our total bill came out to be $100!!!! But it was worth all the trouble.

Driving in Ahmedavad – When we arrived in Ahmedavad, at 6:45 p.m., we were greeted by my father, and a few of my cousins. We all traveled in two cars to our destination an hour away. When we got on the roads in India, we noticed that it was complete and utter CHAOS. I was completed scared for my life, the whole drive. Cities in India do not have signal lights, road signs, traffic courteous, or painted roads (To help distinguish boarders between the two sides of traffic). So when were headed home, I was so scared for my life, along with my brother and my sister, I just made myself go to sleep.

Home Sweet Home – We arrived at home at 8:45 p.m., the exhausting travel time was almost 48 hours long. But I was glad to be in India.

No comments: